Re: Debian on 640KB or RAM?

On Feb 15, 2004, at 1:39 PM, John Hasler wrote:

Pigeon writes:
I think the 286 extended the concept of far pointers somehow to extend
the addressing range to 16 megs and make it a bit more like a proper MMU,
but you were still limited to 64k blocks.

Sort of. The 286 had a truly brain-damaged segmentation scheme. It did
run protected-mode Unix, but it was pretty whacked-out.

Yea, the 286 protected mode is a totally different animal than the 386 and later.

I'm afraid I missed the original message, but depending on the goal Minix might be sufficient. nothing exciting or fancy though.

It will run on a 286 in protected mode (32 bit) with 2MB ram minimum. 640k is the minimum for 16 bit mode. It will even run on an 8088.

http://homepage.mac.com/stevenaleach/
I am not cynical. I am not bitter. I just believe that if you aren't angry then you aren't paying enough attention.