Re: URGENT -- Apt-get fiasco

On Sunday 15 February 2004 09:49, you wrote:
> Dear Alan and friends:
>
> Thanks so very much for troubleshooting my situation. In brief:

Lets do this via the list - not in private e-mail.  I don't have all the
answers and I am about to go out for the day, so others may need to get
involved (and since I am subscribed to the mailing list there is no need to
also copy me on any replies)

The other point of ettiquette is that you should not top post (ie put your
message at the top and just leave all the text below.  Just keep the bits
that you refer to you in your reply and get rid of the rest.  Put your
replies just under the bit they refer to (see how I did the reply to you)

> 1) I definitely did a COMPLETE, FRESH install. In fact, I first deleted all
> existing partitions, then assigned new partitions and reformatted the disk,
> then installed Xandros 2.0.
>
> 2) Yes, Xandros has apparently modified synaptic (or perhaps aptitude or
> just apt-get) to create its Xandros Networks installation tool.
>
> 3) The last thing I remember is trying to install "synaptic", first as a
> sarge binary, then as a sarge tarball (both from the Synaptic site).
> However, the install failed. Pehaps it was from the "unstable" source. It
> didn't say. Here is the output for "whereis synaptic":

This is the problem - this version of synaptic needs a whole set of libraries
with different dependencies.

does

apt-get remove synaptic

help?

> At any rate, in my earlier installation, I had installed synaptic and many,
> many Debian applications without a flaw and without a single instance of a
> "broken file" (according to synaptic itself). Here is, by the way, my
> preferences file:
>
> sher@Dell:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release l=Xandros Networks
> Pin-Priority: 991
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Xandros Corporation
> Pin-Priority: 991
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 777
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 333 sher@Dell:~$
> On 02/15/2004 03:24 am, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > Whats in your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

Still need the contents of this file

One way out of this is probably to put a line in it to access the proper
debian archive

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

(replace UK with a mirror near you)

then do

apt-get update

This should then provide access to all those missing dependencies.  The only
worry I have with that is that libc6 is one of those libraries that need
updating - and you may end up effectively switching to unstable just because
of all the dependencies that this brings in.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk