[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: URGENT -- Apt-get fiasco

On Sunday 15 February 2004 06:49, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Dear friends:
> [Using Xandros 2.0/Debian]
> This morning I noticed that I could no longer install anything from Xandros
> Networks. I drew the conclusion that I had been pushing the envelope to the
> breaking point, installing from all sorts of sources, including unstable
> (though with a /etc/apt/preferences file). Humbled by this experience, I

What is in your preferences file?

> figured that I had better do a complete, fresh install of Xandros 2.0
> Standard and this time really be strict and disciplined with myself. So, I
> deleted the entire installation and started from scratch. This time, I

When you say deleted the entire installation, did you really do a complete 
fresh install, or did you just uninstall a load of stuff

> restricted myself to Xandros Networks and only to its two default sources
> (XN 1 and XN 2). In fact, I installed Xandros' own applications first and
> only then was about to start installing some applications from the second
> XN unsupported Debian source in XN. And suddenly, after a good 3 or 4 hours
> of installation, with what looks like a perfect installation, XN seems to
> have collapsed. I cannot install ANYTHING, including XN's own applications,
> i.e. from XN1 (with the default XN symbol) using the STANDARD option under
> Edit, Standard (instead of Expert). I've tried at least a dozen of them and
> they all give me the same error message. Please click on this link for a
> screenshot:
> http://www.websher.net/xn-1.png

I am afraid I don't understand most of the above because I use standard 
debian, and what you are talking about in Xandros stuff.  I suspect your 
underlying problems are related to some combination of what library versions 
are installed

> And here is the output from the console when I tried to install this same
> file, the GCC 3.3 development files using apt-get:
> Dell:/# apt-get -f install gcc-3.3
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> synaptic: Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.4.1) but 1.2.4-1 is to be installed

What this is saying is that synaptic needs a version of libatk1.0-0 that is 
greater than 1.4.1, but the best your /etc/apt/sources.list can find is 

This is why I was asking above how much you actually uninstalled.  Synaptic is 
a program for installing stuff.  I presume (ie I am guessing) that from your 
screenshot Xandros has modified synaptic to use it as its installer.

> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4) but 2.3.2-7 is to be installed

Similar issue here. - the strange ending on the version of libc6 is, I 
presume, some indication of the problem.  I know that debian unstable has 
2.3.2.ds1-11 and sarge 2.3.2.ds1-10, so I assume that something has a 
dependency on this.

Whats in your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

> Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.2-1) but 1:3.3.2-0pre5 is to be installed
> Depends: libstdc++5 (>= 1:3.3.2-1) but 1:3.3.2-0pre5 is to be installed
> Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.2) but 2.5.11-2 is to be installed
> Depends: libzvt2.0-0 (>= 2.0.1cvs20021009-1) but it is not going to be
> installed
> Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1) but 1:1.1.4-15 is to be installed

Similar issues to above

> Depends: gksu but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: scrollkeeper but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
> Dell:/#
> None of this makes any sense to me. I did try to use the Xandros Restore
> function, but it didn't make any difference whatsoever.

Its all related to dependencies - and also depends what your starting point.  
Depending on your /etc/apt/preferences file, then the apt system will not 
downgrade already installed files.  If you really started from scratch (ie 
wiped the disk and did a fresh install) then I am puzzled.  If you just 
removed some packages and tried to then re-install I think you have some 
later versions of things left lying around (synaptic seems to be one of 

> I would very much appreciate your help and advice. I have no idea what's
> going on and how to proceed.

Normally these things can be resolved bit by bit.  But we need some details of 
what process you went through and whats in your /etc/apt/sources.list file

> Thank you so very much.
> Benjamin

Alan Chandler

Reply to: