Re: is debian right for me?

on Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:37:46PM -0500, Mark Roach (mrroach@okmaybe.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:07, David T-G wrote:
>
> > I need to be able to build and install the system in slice hda3 while
> > running from hda2 and then I'll do a test boot and eventually set hda3 as
> > my default slice in lilo.  I'll eventually move back over to hda2 since
> > it's next to the swap space, and I'll have the hda3 version as a spare.
> >
> > Can debian be installed in this manner, much like LFS is bootstrapped?
> > How about maintenance of packages and things?
>
> Yes, this is similar to how I build all my remote servers, I have the
> remote MCSE boot off a knoppix disk and start ssh, then I use
> debootstrap to load the system. once you've bootstrapped the system, you
> can chroot it, and run base-config to set up your apt sources. Here's a
> nice howto on the subject
> http://trilldev.sourceforge.net/files/remotedeb.html
>
> The important things to remember are fstab of course, and network config
> (man interfaces). You'll find this list a valuable resource for any
> questions you might have.

Also:

   http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/DebianChrootInstall

...which references Mark's remote chroot instructions.  There are also
chroot instructions (based on mine) in the Debian Installation Manual:

 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install
 http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-linux-upgrade

Peace.

    Of the top 24 industrialized nations, only Turkey has the government
    covering a smaller percentage of medical costs than the USA.
    - Laurie Garret, _Betrayal of Trust_