Re: is debian right for me?

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:07, David T-G wrote:

> I need to be able to build and install the system in slice hda3 while
> running from hda2 and then I'll do a test boot and eventually set hda3 as
> my default slice in lilo.  I'll eventually move back over to hda2 since
> it's next to the swap space, and I'll have the hda3 version as a spare.
>
> Can debian be installed in this manner, much like LFS is bootstrapped?
> How about maintenance of packages and things?

Yes, this is similar to how I build all my remote servers, I have the
remote MCSE boot off a knoppix disk and start ssh, then I use
debootstrap to load the system. once you've bootstrapped the system, you
can chroot it, and run base-config to set up your apt sources. Here's a
nice howto on the subject
http://trilldev.sourceforge.net/files/remotedeb.html

The important things to remember are fstab of course, and network config
(man interfaces). You'll find this list a valuable resource for any
questions you might have.

Good luck.
--
Mark Roach