is debian right for me?

Hi, all --

I'm an experienced Linux user but have been a SuSE (and occasionally LFS)
guy and haven't met Debian.  I've heard good things, though :-)

I have a somewhat unique server that needs to be updated and I don't want
to go through the LFS mess again, and I never got good results with Gentoo.

The server is an Intel Celeron box with a pair of hard drives, no CD, no
video, no keyboard, and an LCD display (driven by lcdd) and, for a bonus,
a quad Ethernet NIC.

I need to be able to build and install the system in slice hda3 while
running from hda2 and then I'll do a test boot and eventually set hda3 as
my default slice in lilo.  I'll eventually move back over to hda2 since
it's next to the swap space, and I'll have the hda3 version as a spare.

Can debian be installed in this manner, much like LFS is bootstrapped?
How about maintenance of packages and things?

TIA & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"