Re: Experiment, partial positive results: 2.6.2

Am Fr, den 13.02.2004 schrieb David Baron um 10:31:
> I installed a 2.6.2-1 Kernel Image and successfully made an initrd with ext3
> and ... and ... the thing booted (after a small correction in the
> mkinitrd.conf requested by the first panic message!).
>
> OK. Alsa would start up. I did not expect it to since there is an updated alsa
> for this kernel and some stuff built in for it. (If I want to use this kernel
> but keep my old one around for a while, might a get the newer alsa and not
> kill the older one?)

You may want to try the latest -mm kernel if you experience ALSA
problems.

> A couple of modules were not found. "Assumed built into kernel". No harm
> apparently.

You may want to edit /etc/modules or use modconf to get rid of the
messages.

> And, oh yes, the mouse did not work but there has been a lot of that going
> around lately :-)

The PS/2 mouse driver seems to have changed which confuses a lot of
people.

>  Would the /dev/mouse0 entry in XF86Config-4 interfere with
> the old kernel?

Just use a USB mouse :) I'm using a 2.4 XF86Config on my laptop with
/dev/input/mice and /dev/psaux /touchpad) w/o any problems.

> Similar initrds made for my 2.4.22-xfs are not accepted as valid ram images.

2.6 changed quiet a bit of things. Reading Documentation/Changes is a
must.
--
Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice