Re: PS/2 mouse not working after upgrade to kernel 2.6.0

Everything worked perfectly once I modprobe'd mousedev. Thanks for the help.

Kevin Wortman

Peter Samuelson wrote:

[Kevin Wortman]
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
      No such device.

I tried to cat /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice and /dev/input/mouse0 , and all give a device not found error, which led me to believe the kernel module was not loaded. But my dmesg contains

input: PS2++ Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1

With the kernel input layer, there are three components to the mouse
driver now.  One is 'psmouse', which you already have loaded.  Another
is 'input', which is autoloaded.  The third is the frontend,
'mousedev', which takes mouse data and produces an emulated PS/2
Intellimouse on /dev/input/mice - and optionally on /dev/psaux as well,
for backward compatibility.

Note that 'mousedev' is not strictly needed - if your applications can
deal with the 'event interface' instead, you can just load the 'evdev'
module and use /dev/input/event0 et al. as an alternate "front-end
driver" for mouse packet output.  But normally you just want 'mousedev'
and /dev/input/mice.

Peter