Re: "Wicked" resolver error

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 03:35:40PM -0800, John Christian said
> Ok, got my Packages.gz problem fixed ... now I've run into another
> barrier ...
>
> So, I've gotten the base network install done, and have re-booted onto
> the kernel running on my hard drive, which brings me to the inital
> configuration menu.  After flipping through the usual inital setup menus
> (root password, other users) It attempts to download more packages,
> which is where it's barfing.  The error string looks like:
>
> Error: something wicked while resolving "http.us.debian.org:http"

This is apt's way of saying "I can't resolve http.us.debian.org to an IP
and I want to cry".  Does "host http.us.debian.org" resolve it
correctly?

> Now, that /:http$/ is a bit odd ... I'm not using any proxy ... and I'm
> PRESUMABLY getting my resolver set via DHCP (which worked when booting
> off the install disk), though there's no way I can see to verify this.

Look in /etc/resolve.conf

> I tried tweaking the proxy settings to make the
> string "http.us.debian.org:80", but I still get a resolver error.

http.us.debian.org does not run a HTTP proxy on port 80, this won't
work.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:          import CIDA SWAT Montenegro spy NWO MD2 Vince Foster