Re: ..lwresd, was meant to be: BIND 9: rcnd: connection refused

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:19:19 +0000 (UTC),
Joost Witteveen <joostje@foko.komputilo.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] slrnc2laj7.1gd.joostje@foko.komputilo.org>:

> >looks> > fine, like nothing wrong. But I found out that Bind
> >acctually not> > working properly. /etc/init.d/bind9 reload/restart
> >will give this> > error message:

> > ..I've seen these too.  ;-)
> >
> >> The magic is in /etc/bind/rndc.conf (and the corresponding key
> >> in /etc/bind/named.conf).
> >>
> >> Create the magic using rndc-confgen.
> >>
> >> In my case, lwresd was somehow installed, messing up the
> >> communication.
> >
> > ..how???
>
> How was lwresd installed? I don't know. Maybe from first install,
> maybe it was pulled in with some other package.
>
> How did lwresd mess up the communication between rndc and
> named(bind9)? Apparently, lwresd was listening on port 953, so that
> named couldn't bind on that port (and thus rndc could not communicate
> to named).

..lwresd listens to 127.0.0.1:953, and rndc 0.0.0.0:953, no conflict
except possibly on lo, AFAICS.

> >> Removing lwresd (and kill-ing the process that stayed on even after
> >I> removed the package) solved it.
> >
> > ..in my case, this took 3 minutes and 9 to 25 seconds
>
> What took 3 minutes?

..shutting down bind9, start-up is prompt.  Those shutdowns are 3
minutes and 9 to 13 seconds, with the first try being 3min 25sec.

> >, lwresd on or off
> > made at best a 2 second difference _if_ it mattered, and I'm not
> > sure of that.
>
> I guess it depends on who was started first, lwresd or named.
> If named is started first, it will listen on port 953, and then
> everything should work OK.

..I saw no difference, but I'll recheck.

> As I don't know why I would want to have lwresd, I just removed it.

..my understanding from the docs, is it should speed local resolving.

> I should file a bugreport against one of the packages, but don't
> do that now, as I don't have time to investigate what package is
> wrong etc.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: