..lwresd, was meant to be: BIND 9: rcnd: connection refused

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:55:21 +0000 (UTC),
Joost Witteveen <joostje@foko.komputilo.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] slrnc2k9hp.c1h.joostje@foko.komputilo.org>:

> In article <[🔎] 1076501381.576.13.camel@funburst.smooth.bom>, Phillipus
> Gunawan wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am setting up a BIND for my local network (anydomain.bom)
> > acessible only for local domain. This is the second time I build
> > BIND, my old Debian crashed after I accidently unplug one of my
> > hdd-ide cable (there are 3 hdd(s) ) and Debian kernel starting
> > panic...
> >
> > When I start Bind from '/etc/init.d/bind9 start', everything looks
> > fine, like nothing wrong. But I found out that Bind acctually not
> > working properly. /etc/init.d/bind9 reload/restart will give this
> > error message:
> >
> > Stopping domain name service: named
> > rndc: connect failed: connection refused

..I've seen these too.  ;-)

> The magic is in /etc/bind/rndc.conf (and the corresponding key
> in /etc/bind/named.conf).
>
> Create the magic using rndc-confgen.
>
> In my case, lwresd was somehow installed, and messing up the
> communication.

..how???

> Removing lwresd (and kill-ing the process that stayed on even after I
> removed the package) solved it.

..in my case, this took 3 minutes and 9 to 25 seconds, lwresd on or off
made at best a 2 second difference _if_ it mattered, and I'm not sure of
that.

> Oh, and after you've setup rndc.conf and named.conf, you need
> to kill named once manually, so that it re-reads the named.conf
> information.

..this I think answers my rndc question too.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: