Re: whew

* Kjetil Kjernsmo (kjetil@kjernsmo.net) [040211 09:35]:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 18:07, David wrote:
> > However, this could be a prime example of the class of people who
> > definitely _should_ stick with windows..
>
> And finance MS' robbery of our rights, including our right to receive
> and impart information and ideas through any media and to participate
> in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share
> in scientific advancement and its benefits?
>
> As much as one hate the trolls and the abusive newbies, the alternative,
> that they continue to pay MS money and allow them to retain the power
> to strip us of our rights, is so much worse that I feel it is not
> really an option.

Agreed.  "No One is Free While Others Are Oppressed".

Additionally, as long as windows machines run in such a computing
monopoly and continue to flout standards and interoperability and fail
at basic security, we all pay the price.  We have web sites "designed
for use with Internet Explorer" which refuse to work with
standards-compliant browsers.  We have the virus of the week (the
payload doesn't hurt, but the joe-job bounces sure do), etc.  So not
only are others oppressed while using proprietary software such as
windows, those systems in fact oppress all other systems, including free
software users like us.  Each time someone wipes a windows partition for
a debian install is a small victory towards a free world, no matter how
annoying that person may be.

good times,
Vineet
--