Exim Config.

I am struggling getting exim to do what seems to be a relatively simple task. I can't work out what I am missing.
I am setting up a mail server which services a lot of domains but only a handful of users.
There are about 6 real accounts on one domain.
Some of the other domains need mail forwarding to one of these accounts.
I also want a default for any domains that do not have a domain specific forward.
I don't really want a separate alias file for every domain as that seems unnecessary in this configuration .

I have the following director in the exim.conf:-

system_aliases:
  driver = aliasfile
  file_transport = address_file
  pipe_transport = address_pipe
  file = /etc/aliases
  search_type = lsearch*@
  include_domain
I have an alias file that goes like:-

fred@domain1 :fredbloggs
bert@domain1: bertsmith
*@domain2: bertsmith
*:fredbloggs

However when I send mail to any user it always gets sent to the default * . Eg bert@domain1 and nobody@domain2 both get delivered to fredbloggs.
I expected it to only use * if it could not find a find a more precise match. Instead * seems to override all other aliases.
I have had a good look through mailing lists but I can't find anyone who has had a similar problem.