Re: Mutt - decoding of QP-escaped headers

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:08:48AM +0100, Shot wrote:
| Hello.
|
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson:
|
| > Note that this does not have any spaces in the encoded portion.  Edit
| > the message mentioned above and change the header line to
| >
| >     Subject: =?iso-8859-2?Q?czu=B3y=20barbarzy=F1ca=20-=20zaproszenie?=
| > or
| >     Subject: =?iso-8859-2?Q?czu=B3y=20barbarzy=F1ca?= - zaproszenie
| >
| > and it will work.
|
| So that's the trick! Thanks, thanks a lot. I've read somewhere that the
| QP works by converting to the equals-and-two-hex-digits notation
| everything above ASCII 127 and the equals sign itself, and so must've
| missed the part about converting the spaces as well. Thanks again.

Basically the Quoted-Printable encoding is =XX where XX is the
ASCII hexidecimal representation of the character in $CHARSET.  Any
and every character in the charset can be encoded, however plain ASCII
characters do not need to be encoded, except for newlines if the
newline was added to prevent the line length limit from being
exceeded.  (for all the particulars read the RFC)

The issue with spaces is only in headers that allow MIME extensions.
The issue is not with the quoted-printable specification but with the
MIME specification.

| Cheers,
| -- Shot (who now wonders whether the question mark, if it happened to
| be part of the string in question, should also be represented as "=3F"
| rather than verbatim "?"... anywhere I can see the specs?)

RFC's 2045-2049 define MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions)
RFC 2047 is the one that defines the message header extensions.

-D

--
There are 10 types of people in the world:
those who understand binary, and those who do not.