Re: FUBARed my install, wont boot :(

Hello

Jamie Kerwick (<Jamie.Kerwick@benenden.org.uk>) wrote:

> I'll start by saying I'm new to debian, so please be gentle ;)
>
> After 5 or 6 attempts I finally managed to get Debian installed
> properly with a small range of packages.
> I then installed a whole host of packages thru dselect. One of which
> was ALSA (I thought it might help my sound problems, ie, lack-of).
> As a dependancy this seems to have installed a kernel image binary
> (kernel-image-2.4.16-686) during the installation it gave a message
> about modifying LILO, (I unfortunately skipped through this part and
> missed the warning message.

Better install one of the 2.4.18-1 images from security.debian.org, get
kernel-package and alsa-source and build a deb with the modules for
your Kernel. Or use the OSS modules. If you need more help, tell us
what sound card you use. And take a look at the archive of the list.

> Now when I rebooted my PC it wont boot and just gives a 'Kernel panic
> unable to mount root FS'.

You probably didn't add a line for the initrd:

initrd=/initrd.img

if /initrd.img exists and is linked to /boot/initrd-2.4.16-686.img (or
whatever the name of the initrd is). Add it to the proper section of
your lilo.conf and rerun lilo.

> I have tried using my install CD to boot using the 'rescue' however I
> can't get it to work, I have tried 'rescue root=/dev/hda1', and
> 'rescbf24 root=/dev/hda1', but it is still unable to mount the root
> fs. I have even tried to pass a initrd parameter, but with no joy (I'm
> not sure as to what the path to a RAMDISK image should be?)

The bf kernels don't need initrds, but the other 2.4 kernels do. Like
the one you installed.

Are you sure /dev/hda1 is your root partition? What kind of file system
do you use? The bf kernel should have everything you need compiled in,
especially if you used it for installing on your computer. Is it
possible that the file system is severly damaged? What is the exact
error message?

> [long disclaimer]

Is there a possibility for you to switch that off? I am sure _no_ _one_
here wants to read it.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--