Re: ntfs partition thinks its reiserfs, sorta

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:35:59PM -0800, Nano Nano wrote:
> hde1 was my ntfs partition
> hde2 was my reiserfs / debian partition
>
> I accidentally copied an old fstab that had:
> /dev/hde1       /               reiserfs        defaults        0       0
>
> from when debian was on hde1!
>
> Now partimage thinks the partition is reiserfs.
>
> file -s doesn't think its a reiserfs
> mount will mount it as ntfs
> I can boot into XP fine, NT thinks its fine, I ran chkdsk,
> I ran XP repair console chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, and even Repaired Windows.
>
> Why does partimage think its reiserfs?  Would it have written a backup
> table somewhere?  Is the information cached somewhere?

Even after I "quick reformatted" the XP partition and reinstalled Debian
partimage still thought hde1 was ReiserFs!  I found out why:

when I did the fstab mistake the string "ReIsEr2Fs" was written at
0x10034-0x1003C of hde1 (magic @ offset 64*1024+52).  This is free
space to NTFS, so chkdsk didn't catch it.  Changing the R to 00 lets
Partimage fail the test in src/client/misc.cpp::CReiserPartdetect, so it
falls back to NTFS.

Apparently cfdisk and mount detect reiserfs differently because they
weren't confused.

Anyway, back to your lives....