Re: Two Apache instances; IPTables to redirect ports

On Monday 09 February 2004 18:04, Adam Aube wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2004 07:43 am, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> > So, how do I set up my box to run two different Apache
> > instances...?
>
> Install your demo system from Apache source in /usr/local/apache, and
> make sure it uses a different port, log & pid files, etc.

Oh, OK... Isn't it a viable alternative to run apache with -f config,
with another config file...? I thought that would be the most elegant
path to take, but I have no clue on how to implement it practically, so
perhaps you're right.

> > The other question is related: I have to run the demo server at a
> > different port, say 8081. But, I figured it should be easy with
> > IPTables to redirect this so that incoming traffic to my demo
> > server test.skepsis.no at port 80 is redirected to 8081, without
> > interfering with the other traffic to the other virtual hosts on
> > this machine.
>
> Impossible. IPTables works at too low of a level to see the hostname
> in the request sent to the server.

OK.

>What you need is a reverse proxy.
> I know Squid can be used for this, but I've never done it, so I can't
> give you any advice on how to go about it.

OK, I have some hints for using yet another Apache instance to do that,
I'll probably look into that.

Thanks!

Best,

Kjetil