Re: Two Apache instances; IPTables to redirect ports

On Monday 09 February 2004 07:43 am, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> So, how do I set up my box to run two different Apache instances...?

Install your demo system from Apache source in /usr/local/apache, and make
sure it uses a different port, log & pid files, etc.

> The other question is related: I have to run the demo server at a
> different port, say 8081. But, I figured it should be easy with
> IPTables to redirect this so that incoming traffic to my demo server
> test.skepsis.no at port 80 is redirected to 8081, without interfering
> with the other traffic to the other virtual hosts on this machine.

Impossible. IPTables works at too low of a level to see the hostname in
the request sent to the server. What you need is a reverse proxy. I know
Squid can be used for this, but I've never done it, so I can't give you
any advice on how to go about it.

Adam