Re: Can't boot: "hda: lost interrupt" after possibly screwing up kernel.

On Monday 09 February 2004 13:00, Andreas Janssen wrote:

>> 3. pray|chant|sacrifice and reboot
>> 4. stop messing with these things on my important workstation (that's
>>    what the spare computer is for)

That all worked and everything is fine now!  (Except that it
mysteriously switched my main ethernet connection from the PCI card to
the onboard LAN; I moved the cable and it's fine now.)

> If you use apt or dkpg to install kernel packages, the old kernel in
> not removed. the symlinks are changed so that vmlinuz.old will point
> to the old kernel, and vmlinuz points to the new kernel. This way you
> can still boot the old one if the new one doesn't work.

But only if I have the prompt set!  /etc/lilo.conf now reads:

boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=100
root=/dev/hda1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        initrd=/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

And the kernel files are all "2.4.23-1-386".  Now I just have to work on
Item 4 above.

Thanks very much for your help!
-- Adam