Re: Can't boot: "hda: lost interrupt" after possibly screwing up kernel.

Hello

Adam (<a24061@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> Once I manage to boot from the CD with the correct kernel, is this the
> correct procedure for fixing my problem?
>
> 1. change the /vmlinuz and /initrd symlinks to point to the i386
>    kernel images
> 2. check lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo

While checking, uncomment or insert the "promt" option. This way lilo
will ask you which kernel to use. If you want to use the text mode
menu, change the install line:

install=/boot/boot-menu.b

> 3. pray|chant|sacrifice and reboot
> 4. stop messing with these things on my important workstation (that's
>    what the spare computer is for)

If you use apt or dkpg to install kernel packages, the old kernel in not
removed. the symlinks are changed so that vmlinuz.old will point to the
old kernel, and vmlinuz points to the new kernel. This way you can
still boot the old one if the new one doesn't work.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen