Re: dvips TeX printer driver

In article <[🔎] 20040207124049.D620A5B0@teufel.hartford-hwp.com>, Haines Brown wrote:

>> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:37:00AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
>> > When I migrated to debian, I lost my ability to print LaTeX files. No
>> > information is sent to the printer.
>> >
>> > The printer driver is dvips, and I assumed that it was included in the
>> > LaTeX package, for that was the case with my LaTeX installation under
>> > RedHat. Under Debian, is the driver a separate package, and if so what
>> > is it called?
>> >
>> I would guess that what is happening is that you are running dvips and
>> expecting seing your file coming from the printer. Well, at least in
>> sid, when you run dvips it works as if you were using
>> "dvips -o file.ps file.dvi", so a solution could be to turn this off.
>
> Interesting. I always used dvips to create the .ps file and print it
> simultaneously, and you are correct that it works under woody as if
> the -o option were present. But the man offered no clue as to how to
> "turn off" the option which is not on to begin with (unless it is
> present in a dvips script somewhere).

It does:

dvips -o '!lpr' file.dvi

But indeed the change of default behaviour did happen silently,
and could be better described in the manual page, at the thop of
the man file, it still reads

- The program dvips takes a DVI file file[.dvi] produced by TeX (or by
- some other processor such as GFtoDVI) and converts it to PostScript,
- normally  sending  the  result directly  to the (laser)printer

--
joostje