how to tell if anything evil lurking in an .xls file?

How can one tell if anything evil is lurking in an .xls file?
Gnumeric, openoffice, etc. have selections to show properties, but
that doesn't give me confidence about all the mess that less(1) shows
exists.  I wouldn't want to pass an evil .xls along to my MS buddies.

Also how can one reduce the bloat that must be surely in there, just
as one wishes to strip <FONT> etc. from a FrontPage document.