Re: nvidia driver compiling problem

Steve Hargreaves wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>OK - after getting most of my H/W working with debian - the last two
>exceptions are the dedicated nvidia driver for my card, and the  modem
>drivers for my Intel 536EP modem.
>
>I suspect I may never get the modem working, so I'll concentrate on the gfx
>card ATM.
>
>I have installed the 2.4.24 kernel for i386 from www.backports.org (I failed
>miserably trying to compile my own kernel), and since the nvidia kernel
>module needs the kernel sources to compile, I downloaded and installed the
>accompanying source package. So far so good.
>
>The nvidia kernel module compiles fine, but when I try and use it I get the
>following error message:-
>
>Using /lib/modules/2.4.24-1-386/kernel/drivers/video/nv
>/lib/modules/2.4.24-1-386/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
>        /lib/modules/2.4.24-1-386/kernel/drivers/video/
>24
>        while this kernel is version 2.4.24-1-386.
>
>Now I know why the error occurs (the source package won't have the 1-386 bit
>in the version information) - but I don't know how to fix it so that I get a
>correct version of nvidia.o - any help would be appreciated.
>
>This is getting to be a pain - I've done nothing but download stuff for 2
>days over a 56k dial up connection - it'd be nice if I could get the right
>stuff first time :o(
>
>Thanks
>

>Steve.

Hi

I compiled 6 different 2.4.xx kernels and I could not get any of them to
work with nvidia or my LAN card
on my AMD computer, it would work with 2.2.20 but I wanted something newer.
I found that it easy to get everything working with kernel 2.6.1 and
runs great. I spent a lot of time trying to get
2.4.xx to work. I do use 2.4.23 on my other computer with an P4 but it
does not have a nvidia card.

If you are using AMD based computer and DEBIAN go to 2.6.1 !!!

Bill K