Re: recommended reading?

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:38:57 +0100, Thorsten Haude wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Paul Morgan wrote (2004-02-08 12:50):
>>>
>>> Please don't. This might have been a good book twenty years ago but now
>>> it's obsolete.
>>
>>Not by any means. It remains an excellent starter book for Unix
>>beginners.
>
> As long as he restricts himself to software twice as old as Linux.
>
> I use Linux for a couple of years now, and usually know my way around on
> various Unix systems. Most of the tools described in the book were unknown
> to me because they are no longer used by anyone.
>
> The tools are important however, they are the most important part of the
> Unix environment. So this book is useless.

Perhaps you would care to either back up your statement with facts or
withdraw it?  Most of the tools?  Which ones described in the book are no
longer in use?

ed? sed? grep? cat? awk? wc? echo? nice? yacc? make? lex? cc? date?

Or perhaps you mean the Unix system calls or the C library?

Or maybe I/O redirection, shell parameters, environment variables, shell
while/for loops, here documents or conditional constructs are obsolete.

--

It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big
enough hammer.
               -- Sun System & Network Admin manual