Re: Trying to install Linux on machine that refueses *every* OS but XP...

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 08:08:37AM -0800, pbrooks@pdx.edu wrote:
> My brother recently built a new computer:
> Albatron 865PE motherboard
> 1 Gig DDR400
> Radeon 9200
> 40GB HDD, 120GB HDD
> P4 2.8Ghz
>
> I've been trying for the last two days to install Linux on it, and with two
> distributions.  Slackware has an error when it attempts to install LILO to
> either drive's MBR or to the superblock.  Debian has no error, but nothing is
> installed (I get the "INSERT SYSTEM BOOT DISK AND PRESS SPACEBAR" message, not a
> nice one).
> I don't think that the motherboard has anti-MBR-writing features (it rejects
> win2k installs, BTW) but it could be.  Anyone have any advice?
> Regards,
> Dibujante

Try using a Knoppix CD to get started. Use Knoppix to research the hardware of
the system and learn what answers you should give to the Debian install scripts.
Maybe install Knoppix and then convert to Debian.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com