Trying to install Linux on machine that refueses *every* OS but XP...

My brother recently built a new computer:
Albatron 865PE motherboard
1 Gig DDR400
Radeon 9200
40GB HDD, 120GB HDD
P4 2.8Ghz

I've been trying for the last two days to install Linux on it, and with two
distributions.  Slackware has an error when it attempts to install LILO to
either drive's MBR or to the superblock.  Debian has no error, but nothing is
installed (I get the "INSERT SYSTEM BOOT DISK AND PRESS SPACEBAR" message, not a
nice one).
I don't think that the motherboard has anti-MBR-writing features (it rejects
win2k installs, BTW) but it could be.  Anyone have any advice?
Regards,
Dibujante