Re: Better program than Putty?

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:51:02PM +0100, Mark Maas wrote:
| Steve Lamb wrote:
| >Mark Maas wrote:
| >
| >>Does anyone use a program that can handle "cut and paste", handle
| >>ascii art better etc?
| >
| >    Uhm, exactly how does it do it wrong?  PuTTY here works fine for
| >C&P, etc.  I've been using it daily for years and C&P to and from it
| >hundreds of times a day.  Ex:
| >
| >{grey@teleute:~} uptime
| > 11:25:24 up 5 days,  9:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
| >
| >    Note the headers on the client.  :P
|
| Hi and thanks for the quick answer!
|
| Yes indeed I used that numerous of times as well, but it means that you
| put the keyboard in "scterm" mode, but that in turn means some ascii
| characters like the ones used by "display" and "mc" (Midnight Commander)
| won't show right, its all garbled?

I don't use mc, but perhaps one of your problems relates to background
handling.  There is an option (somewhere - I don't have a win* box
handy to check where) to have the terminal "Erase with background".
If that is enabled, then the background color (set by the app) will be
displayed in character cells that the app "erases".  (the alternative
is that the app must display a space character so that the terminal
shows the right color)  Setting that option in putty will make things
like linuxconf and aptitude look much better.

The other problem that I speculate you might be having relates to
"line drawing" characters.  The ASCII character set only defines
values for the "low" 7 bits of a byte.  Various people have created
definitions for the other values when a character they needed wasn't
available in ASCII.  The "line drawing" characters are one such
definition.  (AFAIK - someone correct me if I am wrong)  In any case,
the terminal and the application must have the same understanding of
what characters are available.  For example, xterm understands
line-drawing characters, so if the app sends the right sequence of
bytes to the terminal then it looks really nice.  (such as the
options to change how it handles those characters.  You'll want to set
putty's options to match xterm's capabilities because, IIRC, putty
reports itself to the server as 'xterm' by default.

| Trying to find to words to explain this better...

A screen shot, posted on a web server you have access to, is a good
way to explain weird visuals.

HTH,
-D

--