Re: Debain on the rise ! - However ....

Ovidiu Cojocaru wrote:
On 02/06/04 16:49, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 04:26:59PM +0900, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

There is one more Pro thing, I learned very good how to install a system
without using any kind of installer.

Gentoo has no installer?

Gentoo has an installation guide. The user is supposed to read that guide and follow the simple, in my opinion, guidelines. Basically, the user creates the partition, filesystems, and configures the network and the compilation flags, and then let Portage do its work. The user also compiles the kernel, installs a bootloader and the stuff that is necessary (i.e. a system logger and optionally a cron daemon), then it can reboot as in that moment it's considered the installation ended.

P.S. I am a former Gentoo user. But since I don't have the time to be bothered with compiling I prefered Debian, although I still compile my own kernel.

I prefer Knoppix Hard Disk Installation, that includes hardware autodetection and autoconfiguration, what it is better for the new user ;) . Time to learn is later...

Regards.