Re: Need help, dual NICs, don't know whether this /etc/network/interfaces file is correct

Joseph Jones wrote:

Adam Aube wrote:

On Thursday 05 February 2004 12:06 pm, Joseph Jones wrote:

I try to get [the network] working by starting up my PC. I was under the
impression that that was all was requied after installing the kernel
(it's all my Via Rhine based card needed).

Upon bootup, it says something along the lines of eth1: ERROR while
getting interface flags: No such device (dmesg has ceased to work for
some reason, so I had to right it down as it flashed by) about 6 or so
times.

Sounds like a driver problem to me. What does the output of lspci -vv show?

Adam

Output follows (hope you don't mind me cc'ing to you and the list):

00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Ethernet Controller (rev c2)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 0c11

All the "Unknown device" lines I see indicate to me that your hardware is too new for your kernel to recognize it. What kernel are you running (uname -a)?

You might want to upgrade to a newer kernel:
   apt-cache search kernel-image-2.[whatever, such as 4]
find a kernel that matches what you need, for example kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7 for a 2.4.24 Athlon-tweaked kernel, and
install it with a command like:
   apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7
   follow the on-screen instructions
   reboot

If all goes well, hopefully you'll now have networking.

Of course, this assumes you have a newer kernel in your apt sources (probably CD?). If not, you may need to try setting up dial-up and grabbing the new kernel via ppp. Or you can boot into Knoppix/Morphix/etc, and if it sees your network, manually download the kernel image and any dependencies (quite painful, but I've done it at least twice) and install them with "dpkg -i <package_name>".

--
Kent