Re: kernel question

On Friday 06 February 2004 08:45, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> You can boot to a console and use "apt-get install kernel-image" to see a
> list of available kernel images (with versions). Pick a newer kernel from
> the list and install that.

I tried that. The new kernel image would not boot up because of "missing"
modules.dep references. Does one need to build the whole thing or is there a
way to simply use the newer kernel with the modules that are already on the
system?

(I have not succeded in rebuilding one from source, either--always gets past
all the compiles and then fails on some file reference or other--I need to
get ext3 and jbd compiled into an image or install one ready-made. How?)