Re: building from source advice

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:21:00AM +0000, cyril said
> Hi
>
> as a Debian newbie (recent redhat convert) I could do with a bit of advice on
> handling any source builds on my server. What kind of issues should I be
> aware of if I choose to build some software from source on a stable Debian
> environment.

If you build things from source, dpkg won't be aware of them, therefore
apt will try to install them if something depends on them.

> For example I usually choose to build php / apache from source
> on my servers.

Why?  The Debian versions of apache and php include all known security
fixes, and pretty much all available modules.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:       Firewalls Clinton underground UOP Blowpipe VX nerve gas