building from source advice

Hi

as a Debian newbie (recent redhat convert) I could do with a bit of advice on
handling any source builds on my server. What kind of issues should I be
aware of if I choose to build some software from source on a stable Debian
environment. For example I usually choose to build php / apache from source
on my servers. I know there is a system called backports which I can also
look at for gaining slightly more uptodate versions of some software, so any
advice appreciated.

cyril