kernel question

Hi all,
Sorry to ask such a silly question, but I haven't found a good answer
for it on google.  I've got a Dell GX115 box running a basic Debian
system from the 3.0r2 installation cds, with kernel 2.2.  I tried the
bf24 install, but it failed with a bad eic value, which after some
searching seems to be a problem with that particular kernel and the bios
on the box.  The 2.2 kernel runs fine, but it doesn't have agp gart
support, which is preventing the x server from running.  Can anyone
suggest a kernel version to try?

Thanks,
Matt