Re: Root Password recovery

Quartenoud Francois wrote:

Hi, I have change the root password on a Debian 3.0. I make a mistake during
 the typing, I cannot retrieve the password.
 I try to reboot with typing "linux single" on Lilo, but the system ask the
 root password.
 I try to type "linux init=/bin/sh" on lilo without success.
What can I do? Is there a way to pass thrue? Boot on specific disk or
 exploit some bugs (if any).
This server contain informations, I cannot re-install all. Thank for your responses. François QUARTENOUD (System Engineer Online)
 Switzerland

Hi,
I would try to boot with an installation CD.
After that, through a terminal, mount the root partition and then remove the password for root from shadow/passwd.
Then reboot without the CD

I don't know if it's clear :)
Bye,
Michele
Gruppo Sigla Srl
Via Finocchiaro Aprile 31/5a 16129 Genova

Tel: +39.010.589635
Fax: +39.010.5531889

Web: http://www.gsigla.it