Root Password recovery

Title: Root Password recovery

 Hi, I have change the root password on a Debian 3.0. I make a mistake during
 the typing, I cannot retrieve the password.
 I try to reboot with typing "linux single" on Lilo, but the system ask the
 root password.
 I try to type "linux init=/bin/sh" on lilo without success.

 What can I do? Is there a way to pass thrue? Boot on specific disk or
 exploit some bugs (if any).

 This server contain informations, I cannot re-install all.

 Thank for your responses.

 François QUARTENOUD (System Engineer Online)
 Switzerland