Re: admin type user

Hello Mihalis!

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:06:59PM +0200, Mihalis I. Tsoukalos wrote:
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 01:58:20PM -0600, Rick Weinbender wrote:
I need to create an admin type user for the purpose
of maintaining user accounts.
The user needs access to /home directory and everything
below it, but not anything higher in the tree.
(I've heard something about chroot doing this, but haven't
tried it.  What's recommended?)
*
What tools are available for setting up this type of account?
I've heard that using SUDO for running types of root commands
is pretty secure.

Just for maintenance reasons you can give full access to /home directory
to that user.
Just change the group permissions and add that user to the group.

Normally there is no need to change much, please see
/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.txt.gz
|[...]
|   staff
|    Allows users to add local modifications to the system
|    (/usr/local, /home) without needing root privileges.
|    Compare with group 'adm', which is more related to
|    monitoring/security.

sudo is some convinient tool, too.

Cheers,
Flo