Re: 80G disk seen as 20G?

High,

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Victor Munoz wrote:

>  Hello. I have a new machine running Woody, kernel bf2.4, and
> I noticed my 80G hard disk is only 20G, according to df -h. What could be
> happening? I've read about issues with disks larger than 34 G, which could
> cause that behavior
> (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-12.html#verylarge),
> but I also understood that is solved in the 2.4 kernel series.
>
> dmesg says it's 80G anyway:
>
> spl09:/home/vmunoz# dmesg | grep hda
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> hda: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive
> hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=155061/16/63
>  hda: [PTBL] [9729/255/63] hda1 hda2

kernel sees 80 GB, so that's ok. But node the partitions:
hda1 hda2.

So partition 1 is 18 GB, don't know how much partition 2 is (could be 60
GB, or only a part).

Use fdisk /dev/hda  to revise your partition table.

> but df tells otherwise:
>
> spl09:/home/vmunoz# df -h
> /dev/hda1              18G  4.8G   12G  28% /
>
> I have another machine with the bf2.4 kernel, 40G hard disk, and
> it is recognized as such by df.

I don't know what you mean by this. You want to show that your other 2.4
kernel doesn't have a 18 GB limit with a 40 GB HD? Well, I guess this
harddisk has one big parition then.

> Ideas? Thanks in advance,

so check your partition table with fdisk.

Greetz,
Sebas

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)