Re: Cleanup and OpenOffice (was: Windows and Printing Systems)

On Saturday 31 January 2004 05:44 pm, Marius Amado Alves wrote:
> But I suspect my system is in a mess now from trying all sorts of
> source.list entries and apt-get installs that totally or partially
> failed (gnome, kde, cups-client...) Do I suspect right or can I trust
> apt-get to have done the right thing?

apt-get remove tends to leave some configuration files lying around - if
you look at a listing from dpkg -l, all the packages with a status of
"rc" are removed, but with configuration files left installed. You can
clean those up with "dpkg -P [package name]".

> I think not because new installs always look for gnome and fallback to
> Dialog. How do I clean up?

dpkg-reconfigure debconf

> Next I'd like to have OpenOffice. Any advice?

I didn't see in this thread if you were running stable, testing, or
unstable. If you are running testing or unstable, just use "apt-get
install openoffice.org". If you are using stable, see Debian Backports
(www.backports.org) for a source for the OpenOffice.org backports to
stable (Latest News, 2003/12/17).

Adam