Re: A letter for Mr. Darl McBride - personal use

Brett Carrington writes:
> The GPL should be accepted in any case though, otherwise a user can not
> be sure he has the right to use a copyrighted work.

The GPL applies only to copying, modification and distribution.  From the
GPL:

        Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are
        not covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act
        of running the Program is not restricted...

> This assumes you don't have another free license they can accept.

> It's my understanding that you still have to give explicit permission to
> let someone use your copyrighted work.

No license is required to use a work.  Legal possession of a copy suffices.
Copyright limits only the making of copies and the creation of derivatives.
The right to make temporary copies incidental to normal use as in copying a
program into memory is implicit.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)