Re: A letter for Mr. Darl McBride - personal use

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:45:48PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > You are not a leach.  A leach takes something away from the host: when
> > the leach is done the host has less blood then he had before.  When you
> > make a copy of my software you gain but I lose nothing.
>
> Brett Carrington writes:
> > Except a chance to be paid back for you hard work, in either money or
> > source code improvements.
>
> "Paid back" implies a bargain: that he told me "If you write this software
> I will pay you back with x."  No such bargain existed.  I wrote the
> software for my own reasons.  Now that it exists it costs me nothing to
> share it with him.
>
> > That's what you lose.
>
> After he copies my software I possess everything I had before he copied
> it.  Thus I lose nothing.  Absence of gain != loss.
Sorry if I missed a part of the thread then. My point is that a huge
portion of things "leached" do have an expectation receiving "pay back."
Music artists expect royalties, programmers expect wages (or in GPL'd
code, license compliance), and so forth. I don't think the majority
of leaches are in good karma-standing w.r.t this.