Re: Postscript or PDF --> html?

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:32:36PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I have a Postscript document.  It was created with MS Publisher.
> I can convert it with ps2pdf14 without any problem.  I want to also
> generate HTML.
>
> The document is a double-sided booklet -- with four pages per sheet (two
> each side).  So, if I look at the document each page shows two "pages"
> -- for example, page 3 in xpdf shows both page 26 and page 3.  It's a
> good layout for printing, but not for viewing online.
>
> Anyone know of a tool to convert the pdf or postscript to html?
>
> I've seen some pdf2html converters that just create an image out of
> each page using Ghostscript, which is not what I want.  I want the text,
> images and structure.
>
> Publisher (and Word) can generate HTML, but the generated HTML is
> nothing I'd want to use.  I don't want all that fancy M$ formatting.
>

> BTW -- I'm more than willing to listen to someone describe how easy all
> this would be in LaTeX (if that's true).  It would be nice to have a
> single input source and be able to generate PDF and HTML for viewing
> on-line, and also Postscript for printing the booklet.

Bill,

General stuff in LaTeX is pretty easily done with LyX.  The specific
type of document formatting you seek possibly can be done through a
package off of CTAN, and its use can be incorporated into LyX without
much effort (at least from where I stand).

The program is very good, and under constant development.  I do
virtually all my work with it (I play with Scribus for birthday
cards.).

The LyX-users list is an _excellent_ source of help.  If my thoughts on
this are off, they'll certainly correct me... :-)  I'll forward this to
them.  Maybe someone there has thoughts...

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,