Re: Email client programs

Thorsten Haude wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Day Brown wrote (2004-01-31 06:00):
> >Well, now thatcha mention it, I am somewhat bemused by the loss of email
> >functionality since I quit using QWKMAIL and the BBS nets, and went on
> >the internet.
>
> I had similar thoughts. I used Crosspoint on Fido, and still miss some
> features from both.
>
> >QWKMAIL offered me enough colors to keep track of who said what in a
> >thread, but no more than were useful for that purpose.
>
> This and other things you said about QWKMAIL can be done with Mutt.
> Using a Unix tool chain for mail requires some setup but is much more
> powerful than any single tool can ever be.
I dont see the os matters as much as the server/host. If it dont send
you the postings with the initials of each poster prepended, it'd be
hard for Mutt or anything else to sort it out.

While qwkmail.zip was what OFFLINE.EXE used, I'm sure there were
unix/linux tools that would process qwkmail packets.  In any event the
loss of functionality is not a limitation of Linux so much as just the
result of the programmers focused on the gui interface and eye candy.

Yet another reason I'd like to see the debian user base setup a VPN.