Re: Turn Debian into a Desktop-System what to do

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:44:36AM +0100, Alexander Fitterling wrote:
> Everyone :)
>
> I am using Debian testing/unstable. I wished to get rid of
> klogd,sysklogd, cron/anacron - I did so.
>
> Every damn service pointing to scheduled tasks got uninstalled, too
> (slogrotate, and so on). My question now is, if this surgery is
> without complications if regarded from the operational point of
> view.
>
> Are those services really important if using Debian for common desktop
> tasks, not willing to see any logs or more or less detailed reports in
> file format.
>
> Is or was in any case logging done the same way? I mean is syslog
> really covering the entire logging infra structure or are some
> programs using there own scheme of handling it?
>
> Who takes care now of overflowing log files in e.g. /var/log if there
> is still logged?
>
> /var/log amounts around 400MB of size - this is way huge! I want to
> get rid of those files - could that be done without any problems if
> considering to run the system without logging capabilities?
>
> I look forward see any responses!
> Alex

Computers do fail from time to time. When your computer fails, and you
come to this list asking for help, there will likely be a question:
What do you see in the log?
If you answer, "I don't know. I turned all that off." , you will likely
not get much useful help. This is not people being mean to a poor guy
in trouble. It is just that it is hard to give useful advice when the
standard source of useful clues is missing.

When you become so sure of your own ability to debug all your problems
that you feel you will never ask for help then, as a really gutsy, 'real
men don't eat quiche' kind of way, you might consider turning off
logging. But if you have to ask, don't do it.

You can delete old log files periodically in order to save disk space.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com