Turn Debian into a Desktop-System what to do

Everyone :)

I am using Debian testing/unstable. I wished to get rid of
klogd,sysklogd, cron/anacron - I did so.

Every damn service pointing to scheduled tasks got uninstalled, too
(slogrotate, and so on). My question now is, if this surgery is
without complications if regarded from the operational point of
view.

Are those services really important if using Debian for common desktop
tasks, not willing to see any logs or more or less detailed reports in
file format.

Is or was in any case logging done the same way? I mean is syslog
really covering the entire logging infra structure or are some
programs using there own scheme of handling it?

Who takes care now of overflowing log files in e.g. /var/log if there
is still logged?

/var/log amounts around 400MB of size - this is way huge! I want to
get rid of those files - could that be done without any problems if
considering to run the system without logging capabilities?

I look forward see any responses!
Alex