Re: Turn Debian into a Desktop-System what to do

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:32:54PM -0500, Adam Aube wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2004 08:04 pm, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> > My advice: If you have to ask, don't try it at all. Logging ist an
> > important base functionality and shouldn't be given up without knowing
> > what you might be up against.
>
> Agreed. The best solution for the OP would be to just configure logrotate
> to rotate everything daily, and only keep one or two backlogs.
>
> That would keep the log files from piling up, but would keep logging
> around for the times when it's needed.

That would probably do something closer to what the OP wanted probably
since there are a few other programs that keep their looks in /var/log
so killing syslog and klog only does part of the job.
Also some other services are lost when removing logs. There are system
checkups database updates (updatedb) etc.