Re: xmms broken lately on Testing

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:16:04 +0800
Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:30:21 +0100, Jacob S. wrote:
>
> > I've seen this caused numerous times (especially on a machine
> > running Sarge) by an esd/artsd crash. Killing it and restarting it
> > should bring it back.
>
> never had this before, though. Thanks, try next time to find the
> hanging soundd.
> OTOH, usability and friends, shouldn't / couldn't XMMS find out on its
> own, that it doesn't play ? The indication seems simple: No advance of
> playing time. Joe Smith cannot be expected to find this list or use ps
> auxf.

More aggravating than that to me is that I have the same setup working
great on a Woody system and esd never crashes on me. Yet it's getting
fairly common on a Sarge/Sid mix I have running.

All I can figure is it's because Sarge _is_ still a work in progress, or
the different sound cards... or maybe both. Unfortunately for me, I'm
not smart enough to find the fix for either question.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for.
http://www.linux.org