Cleanup and OpenOffice (was: Windows and Printing Systems)

Thanks all w.r.t. windows and printing systems. Slightly better now: running icewm instead of twn, and lp seems to print PS files.

But I suspect my system is in a mess now from trying all sorts of source.list entries and apt-get installs that totally or partially failed (gnome, kde, cups-client...) Do I suspect right or can I trust apt-get to have done the right thing? I think not because new installs always look for gnome and fallback to Dialog. How do I clean up?

Next I'd like to have OpenOffice. Any advice?

Thanks a lot.