vncserver startup problem - bug or feature?

Hi all.

After a few days of trying to understand why my vncserver startup wasn't
providing the normal desktop environment, I've finally discovered that
vncserver's behaviour varies depending on whether I start it from a
virtual terminal or from a terminal emulator running inside my
already-running X desktop.

>From a virtual terminal, vncserver provides the full gnome desktop. When
it's started from a terminal emulator, however, I only get the grey
(gray?) desktop (as per http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#grey).

I'm not sure whether this is a bug. If not, could I please suggest that
this behaviour be prominently mentioned somewhere in the documentation
(it would have saved me quite a few hours of experimentation/pulling my
hair out etc, so perhaps it might save someone else that time/hair too).

Also, I have a few other questions about vncserver behaviour versus
standard xserver behaviour. Should I post these to this list, or would
they be better suited in a different newsgroup?

Lastly, a big "thank you" to all at Debian for a great distribution -
I'm a very recent convert from Fedora Core 1, and I'm much happier now
I'm over here :-)

Jaime