Re: Windows and Printing Systems

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 11:56, Kent West wrote:
> Marius Amado Alves wrote:
>
> > * Window/Desktop System *
> > I manage to get a decent resolution working with twn. Now, can I change
> > to a more modern system? [...]

> You've probably installed stable, which is ancient. stable is suitable
> for a server machine, but for a workstation, it is my opinion that
> stable is just too obsolete. Change your sources.list to testing, or
> even unstable

This measure is a bit drastic. Even on stable one can get a much more
modern windowing environment than twm. Personally, after being on
unstable for years, I moved back to stable + backports. Unstable, while
being decently stable, imposed too much work on me for my tastes (i.e.,
debconf questions to answer, conffiles to change).

For a decently new system without any hassle (but admittedly not
bleeding edge), I recommend to rund woody and get relevant stuff from
http://www.backports.org/ (backports.org will switch to provied
backports for sarge once it's released)

Gnome 2.2 I get from the evilgeniuses backport
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=992
There probably is something similar for KDE too

Everything else I want I usually find through http://www.apt-get.org/