Re: USB Hard Drive on Debian (woody) - Kernel 2.4.24

Am Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:20:51 -0500 schrieb Barry Skidmore:

> I am trying to use an external USB 1.1 drive on a Debian (woody) system
> with kernel 2.4.24.
>
> I have been able to partition the USB drive as ext2 using the
> SystemRescue CD (v0.2.9) with 'QtParted'.  It shows up as 'dev/sda', with the
> partition as 'dev/sda1'.  However, when I try to use 'Partimage' on the
> rescue CD to back up the partitions which reside on my hard drive, I
> receive an error that there may not be enough room on the target disk
> (not true) or I might not have permissions to write to the disk (the
> rescue CD runs as root).
>
> So, I am now trying to mount the USB drive from Debian to check into
> this problem further, but have been unable to.  The drive does not show
> up when I boot the system (or do an 'fdisk -l'), even though I do see
> that usb is enabled:
>
> usb.c: registered new driver hub
> host/uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver V1.1
>
> When I try to do what's below, I get the following error:
> # mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1
> # mkfs.ext2: No such device or address while trying to determine file
> system size
>
> When I try to do what's below, I get the following error:
> # mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt
> # mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

When I tried using an external usb-hard disk with the System Rescue CD, I
had to load the scsi module manually (modprobe sd_mod).  You should be
able to see if the drive has been attached to a device by doing

  dmesg

and finding something like

  Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Regards,
Robert.